sábado, 1 de mayo de 2010

EL OASIS TV VI / HISTORIA UNIVERSAL EL OASIS VII


Yellow Submarine debió haber sido Up Against It, el script que el dramaturgo inglés Joe Orton escribió para The Beatles por propio encargo de los fabulosos cuatro de Liverpool: sería entonces el tercer film de la banda. Pero Orton no podía dejar de ser Orton y la historia que escribió resultó demasiado inconveniente para la imagen pública de John, Paul, George y Ringo: si bien al recibir el encargo y las 5.000 libras esterlinas de adelanto para escribir un borrador (por ese entonces Orton tenía un suceso tremendo con su primer obra en el West End pero seguía viviendo del seguro de desempleo que le daba de 3 a 10 libras semanales) fue advertido sobre los límites que debía respetar en su trabajo, Joe no pudo con su ingenio y se salió con la suya; hay detalles del trabajo realizado en su célebre diario personal:

"Like the idea. Basically it is that there aren't four young men. Just aspects of one man. Sounds dreary, but as I thought about it I realised what wonderful opportunities it would give. The end in the present script is the girl advancing on the four to accept a proposal of marriage from one of them (which, the script coyly says, we shall never know). Already have the idea that the end should be in a church with four bridegrooms and one bride.... Lots of opportunities for sexual ambiguities -a woman's bedroom at night, her husband outside and four men inside...."

"The boys, in my script, have been caught in flagrante, become involved in dubious political activity, dressed as women, committed murder, been put in prison and committed adultery. And the script isn't finished yet. We parted...with the contract...as good as signed. And on my part, the film almost written."

En esa misma entrada del diario se cuenta cómo terminó el asunto. De todas formas no viene mal transcribir otra entrada muy simpática donde habla del encuentro con Paul, previo al rechazo de su trabajo, o más bien al rechazo de Orton de re-escribir el guión:

"Arrived in Belgravia at ten minutes to eight... I rang the bell and an old man entered. He seemed surprised to see me. "Is this Brian Epstein's house?" I said.... I suddenly realised that the man was the butler. I'd never seen one before.... He took me into a room and said in a loud voice, "Mr. Orton." Everybody looked up and stood to their feet. I was introduced to one or two people. And Paul McCartney. He was just as in the photographs. Only he'd grown a moustache.... He was playing the latest Beatles record, "Penny Lane." I liked it very much."

(Joe and Macca got acquainted over a hobby they held in common -- and another they didn't):

"We talked of drugs, of mushrooms which gave hallucinations -- like LSD. "The drug not the money," I said.... There was a little scratching at the door. I thought it was the old retainer, but someone got up to answer the door and about five very young and very pretty boys trouped in. I rather hoped this was the evening's entertainment. It wasn't, though. It was a pop group called the Easybeats.... I talked to the leading Easybeat, feeling slightly like an Edwardian masher with a Gaiety Girl. I had a last word with Paul M. "Well," I said," I'd like to do the film. There's only one thing we've got to fix up." "You mean the bread?" "Yes." We smiled and parted."

(Simpático documental hecho por tres muy jóvenes ingleses de Leicester, es decir coterráneos de Joe)